Monday 15 August 2011

Interview with Davey Canellis







DAVEY CANELLIS





- How and when did you get into writing?

When I was young, around nine or ten, I was your typical prepubescent fantasy nerd. I was really into Terry Pratchett and video games so I started writing terrible, terrible fan fiction. Even earlier than that I wrote a short play involving shadow dinosaur puppets for my (female) teacher in Year Two, so I guess that's where it started. I've been writing short stories and other things for a little over a year now, though – and ditched the fan fic. Shadow puppets are still cool though.

- What would you say influences your work?

Other people. I think if you want your work to really connect with people it needs to not only reflect who you are, but also respond to what other people are forced to respond to as well. Love, hate, sex, money can influence me, if I see someone or something that appears to reflect any of those things then they can influence me enough to write about whatever it is they've reflected. Other writers and a lot of things about philosophy inspire me a lot, as well.

- How would you describe your style of writing?

Direct.

- Do you write about people and events in your own life?

I do, it's hard not to. I mush people together, make three people into one person and take a lot of liberties, though. I tend to steer clear of writing about people directly because most of the time it's too easy and not very interesting. My writing isn't autobiographical, but writing a story that can be honest and plausible means it has to be rooted in some truth.

- Are you working on any current projects?
I'm piecing together ideas for my first novel which will be finished “when it's done”.

- What do you like to read? Ie. Comics, novels, nonfiction, the tv guide?

Abovetopsecret.com, daily. Novels and short stories mostly though, and too many text books for University. Qwantz and other web-comics like it are extremely good for your health, too.

- Can you share a little of your current work with us?

As of right now it'll be set over two parts and about how love grows from something so innocent to something bigger than any of us can tame. Nawwh.

- What do you find most challenging about being a writer?

Not being cheesy. Anyone can tell the truth, be honest about their opinion or their outlook on life, but in the end you've got to say it in style. That in itself is challenging.


- Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

It's cliché, but at Bukowski has been my favourite author for a while now. I really don't read as much as I want to, I've got stacks of unread library books next to my bed that taunt me all the time. Bukowski's writing is just so inherently male. It's raw, crude and it goes to those darker places the male mind is capable of going to. Apart from him, people like Chekhov and Tolstoy really strike me as intensely honest writers.


- What's your working process like?

If I'm lucky enough to get an idea then it's still about a month off from actually writing it. I have to think about something from a few different angles for a long time before I put anything into words. It's frustrating but alcohol helps.


- Where can we see more of your work?

If I write anything it normally ends up on my Wordpress at
http://butmyselfkeepsslipping.wordpress.com/. Updates to be regular, one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment